Since before America's Civil War, St. Paul's Church has been a body of believers united by their love of Christ. St. Paul's Evangelical United Brethren Church had its beginning with revivals in the "Long Creek" School house which once stood in the valley in back of the present church building. This congregation was first served by circuit riding pastors until 1851. Soon thereafter a gothic revival stone building was erected just a short distance from where York, Baltimore, and Carroll Counties now meet. In the Early 1900's a small addition, including a belfry were added to the church building. In 1966 a major interior renovation to the church occurred, giving the church a cathedral ceiling and the current pews.
In 1968, the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged with the Methodist church, which created St. Paul's United Methodist Church. Over time, St. Paul's desire to remain faithful to Scripture became increasingly incompatible with the direction of the United Methodist denomination. Then, after 140 years of serving our community, St. Paul's was informed on March 11, 1990 that we would no longer be affiliated with the United Methodist Conference and the doors of St. Paul's would be closed.
During this time, the idea of the congregation buying the church building quickly grew, and we were informed on May 3, 1990 that we would be able to purchase our building from the United Methodist Conference. Thus, St. Paul's Independent Church was born. By God's grace, St. Paul's church never closed its doors during this trying time.
In 2003, St. Paul's called Andy Gannon as the first full time pastor. In 2008, Donald Holloway was called to pastor. He solidified the church's doctrinal standards, organizational structure, and vision for ministry. In 2016, St. Paul's called Jared McNabb to be their pastor. While remaining unaffiliated with any denomination, St. Paul's desires to work like-minded churches, and so the congregation voted in 2018 to remove "Independent" from our name, and to be known as "St. Paul's Church." God has been faithful to us for over 175 years, and we pray that God would empower us to continue to serve him and his people in the future generations.